Dailydave mailing list archives

RE: Testing the quickness of signature writers

From: "Dave Korn" <dave.korn () artimi com>
Date: Tue, 2 May 2006 19:59:25 +0100

On 02 May 2006 19:51, Brian Caswell wrote:

On May 2, 2006, at 2:20 PM, M. Shirk wrote:
pcre:"/[\? \x3b\x26]module=[a-zA-Z0-9]*[^\x3b\x26]/U";

  A forward slash, followed by any one char from the set ('?', ';', '&')
followed by the literal text "module=" followed by any number (zero or
more) alphanumerics followed by any char that is neither ';' nor '&'. All
matched against the decoded URI buffer.

That space after the \? will be evaluated in the character set and
the forward slash acts as the bracket for the pcre expression.

In the rule I originally sent, there was no space in the character
set.  Probably added accidentally when dave copied it in his response.

  Ah, yes, I didn't unwrap the lines correctly; mea culpa.

  BTW I haven't read the original advisory, so I dunno: doesn't this only
check the first cgi param after the end of the path?  Wouldn't it work if you
replaced

http://server/path/?module=EVIL*GOES*HERE&otherparams=stuff&yetmore=more

with

http://server/path/?foo=bar&module=EVIL*GOES*HERE&otherparams=stuff&yetmore=mo