Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Anyone catch the ISS "SCADA Terrorism" talk BH Federal yesterday?

From: Jan Muenther <jan.muenther () nruns com>
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2006 10:53:31 +0100

Hello Matthew,

It seems pretty weak, at least based on what is in the slides.  A bunch of
folks from the Middle East download an ISS whitepaper, which proves there
are threat agents we should care about?
I concur to a certain degree, yet on the other hand a full-fledged risk analysis would require some serious recon and terrorists typically don't much enjoy being spied on, thus they're quite reclusive with information on whatever they're planning. One might argue the ISS guys sound a little overly paranoid here, but I'd personally consider it naive not to think about the impact attacks on civil infrastructure through terror cells can have. In my opinion, a heads up in this direction is long overdue.

It's rather ironic, really:
While some candy makers who sell their stuff online protect their infrastructure like Fort Knox, vital pieces of civil infrastructure are basically sitting ducks (I can only speak for the pieces of Europe I've personally seen this in - not too sure about the US, I know e.g. in the energy field there are efforts being made, last not least due to the lessons learned from MS Blaster, I guess). I do a lot of pen testing, and the level of nonchalance I've seen in e.g. transportation or telecommunications can be frightening.

Anyhow, I'd safely assume terror organizations consider these attack vectors - they're not all undereducated towelheaded peasants from the mountains of some godforsaken country. The sheer fact that it's possible to cause severe damage and attract a lot of attention makes them attractive.

How was the talk perceived? Folks running out to buy generators after seeing
the demo? Fear of taking the Metro home?

I don't think that's the message the authors intended to transport. But if a little bit of public attention generates the pressure it takes to raise security in civil infrastructure to a half-sane level, I'm supportive.

Cheers,
Jan