Dailydave mailing list archives

VS and the Keys to the Kingdom

From: Dave Aitel <dave.aitel () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 09:57:38 -0500

"Do no evil" sometimes means not handing over the keys to the kingdom every
time someone asks for it, it looks like. Did MSN and Yahoo just decide to
give up the infoz? I'm fairly sure the one thing Google doesn't know about
me is my age, so I'm not sure how the database would help Bush out one way
or the other in their search to find out how many 5 year olds are into
Furries. Large scale data mining can be fun sometimes. I've been toying with
the idea of letting you select all your CANVAS Nodes and do a portscan where
each TCP connection comes from a different host.

In completely unrelated news, I will be showing something new and
interesting during my BlackHat talk on the 26th. (We call it "VS". :>).  I'm
the last talk, so you'll have to stick it out to see what it is. :>

-dave

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/news/13657303.htm

The Bush administration on Wednesday asked a federal judge to order Google
to turn over a broad range of material from its closely guarded databases.

The move is part of a government effort to revive an Internet child
protection law struck down two years ago by the U.S. Supreme Court. The law
was meant to punish online pornography sites that make their content
accessible to minors. The government contends it needs the Google data to
determine how often pornography shows up in online searches.

In court papers filed in U.S. District Court in San Jose, Justice Department
lawyers revealed that Google has refused to comply with a subpoena issued
last year for the records, which include a request for 1 million random Web
addresses and records of all Google searches from any one-week period.