Dailydave mailing list archives

RE: Slashback!

From: "Taylor, Gord" <gord.taylor () rbc com>
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2006 12:53:38 -0500

The ones I've looked at give multiple options, but mostly it's a
pingable network device or subnet (or both). Some tie directly into the
VPN software to determine network. There's other criteria as well, but
I'd have to look it up and it's typically available in the vendor
glossies.

Most of the corporate PFWs allow multiple configs based on whatever
criteria above (not sure if the home version are true). So, we have 3
configs: Remote, Local (internal network attached), and VPN, so we apply
very strict controls to Remote, very few rules on Local, and a very few
for VPN since this can also be controlled on the VPN itself. I think
this is a good scenario without a "static" trusted/untrusted design ala
MS IE.

For "Remote" mode, we only allow communications to our public VPN
address using our VPN software (it can block communications based on
executable name/checksum), and a couple other OUTBOUND ONLY odds and
ends such as DHCP & DNS. So, realistically, the only time it switches is
when connected internally to our network, or once the VPN connection is
established.

Works well except for the mentioned unexpected connects to an open
wireless connection - then it automatically reverts back to "Remote"
mode since it has something other than one of our internal subnet
address ranges.