Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Gibson redux

From: Barrie Dempster <barrie () reboot-robot net>
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 19:38:58 +0000

On Fri, 2006-01-13 at 13:50 -0500, Dave Aitel wrote:

I think maybe if there was a backdoor in Windows, which there isn't
because MS has shareholders and they'd get mighty pissed if there was,
it would be cryptographicly strong. I.E. What's the point of a
backdoor everyone can take advantage of? You'd need to be able to hook
RSA or DSA routines from crypto.dll to do it right.

- -dave

If I was MS and I wanted to back door all Windows systems. I'd create
some sort of automatic update system that only downloaded code I signed
and installed it on everyones machines. I'd even go one better, for all
the large networks I'd give them local copies of the software to make it
easier to pass out the software to all of their internal clients. I'd
even have my Office software do similar things. It's genius I don't know
why MS haven't thought of it !

I don't even know where to begin ripping his idiotic statements apart.
There are people that take off their tin-foil hats just to ensure "they"
hear their thoughts whilst they laugh at the junk Gibson spouts.

Let's give him another week to understand a vulnerability that everyone
else has long finished with, though. Maybe we missed something pivotal
that he can point out to us.

--
With Regards..
Barrie Dempster (zeedo) - Fortiter et Strenue

"He who hingeth aboot, geteth hee-haw" Victor - Still Game

blog:  http://reboot-robot.net
sites: http://www.bsrf.org.uk - http://www.security-forums.com
ca:    https://www.cacert.org/index.php?id=3