Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Memory, Elephantine

From: Nick Petroni <npetroni () cs umd edu>
Date: Sat, 4 Mar 2006 11:53:43 -0500 (EST)

Sorry for the confusion, we'll be posting more details when time allows.
The tool is meant for image *analysis*, so the assumption is you have
used dd/helix/some fancy hardware/a CANVAS module to gain access to
physical (or virtual) memory. You could also use /dev/mem etc. directly.
The question we are trying to address is "What do you do once you have
all of those bits?

One of the primary features is to automate the low-level "this chunk of
memory is a struct foo" part and allow you to write higher-level
analyses. For example, our "list processes" function is 12 lines as
opposed to dozens of lines of C that other approaches to this problem
have taken. The idea is to allow for easy extension by writing routines
to, for example, search for hidden processes, decrypt/brute force
regions, etc.

As for swap files, we're working on integrating that and other features.

We'd be happy to discuss this more with those who are interested on/off
list.

thanks,
nick