Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: The value of knowing reverse engineering

From: Chad Loder <dailydave () loder us>
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2006 22:13:17 -0800

On Wed, Feb 22, 2006 at 08:41:49PM +0000, Matt Hargett wrote:
Oh come on!

gcc devotes 99% of its time figuring out how to eat invalid and nonstandard
code.

WTF does that have to do with them dealing with *code generation* bugs
in a timely fashion?

Them who? I thought this thread was about gcc, a software program.  I
wasn't talking about the maintainers. I'm sure they are nice people.

Also, what in the world would warrant you making such an overtly
aggressive response?

You thought that was aggressive? Sheesh. Maybe I've been hanging out
with OpenBSD people for too long and my aggression meter is out of
whack. :)

I personally thing TreeSSA is really cool and the inter-procedural tracking
in 4.1 is also pretty nifty. Has anyone looked at the API to see how it
would accomodate a simple statistical static checker and put Coverity and
Fortify out of business?

I'm not denying that gcc has lots of cool and nifty features.  I guess
my point was that this is part of the problem.