Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: information about Microsoft Windows PnP Denial of Service (16/11/2005) Bugtraq ID: 15460 (security focus)

From: Pusscat <pusscat () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 10:30:57 -0500

It looks like your stub data is incorrect for the call here. Check the MIDL
and make sure that you're sending the right amount and format. I don't
really remember off the cuff what error number this relates to, but I'd
guess it's 6c6 or something like that.  Make sure that you've get an NDR
long before your string if it's marked unique, and that your strings are
proper NDR format as well.

While the DoS condition does exist on XPSP2, it doesn't seem possible to
crash the machine like on win2k, also, it's very difficult to consume more
than 60% the size of the allowable swap file.

This DoS condition can be found in almost all DLLs with remoted function
calls.