Dailydave mailing list archives

RE: Snorty snort snort

From: "Aleksander P. Czarnowski" <alekc () avet com pl>
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 14:29:51 +0200

Name resolution. Send it from an IP address that your name server is
authoritative for. Then watch if someone sends queries trying to resolve
that address back to a name. If you send the packet at your target, and
you get a DNS request back (within reasonable amount of time...
depending on the front-end used), then it would seem that Snort
survived. If you don't get a request, chances are good that it crashed
Snort (or no one does name resolution... it's a gamble, but watching for
DNS requests can reveal some interesting info about sites).

Good point - but in case of safe scans you shouldn't crash anything so DoS is not an option here. I am wondering how VA
scanner vendors will react to this.

BTW: Who still runs BO??
Good question. I guess this is one of those features that must be in IDS because everyone else has it - and this is
probably because BO protocol is so trivial. It would be a good exercise to review default snort configuration and
disable all useless - by today standards - preprocessors.

Just my 2 cents,
Aleksander Czarnowski
AVET INS