Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Understanding Windows Heap Overflows

From: Dave Aitel <dave () immunitysec com>
Date: Tue, 04 Oct 2005 11:43:14 -0400

Well, don't learn heap overflows on SP2 before you're good at win2k sp4, is one important note. :> Another good note is that Nico and Sinan are teaching a 1 day class:
http://www.pacsec.jp/dojoheap.html

This should overcome your problems with this sort of thing.

-dave

pbb wrote:
If you remember from Blackhats, the one I showed you, was a management app (also had 7 threads) and had a 4byte overwrite but I couldn't get it consistantly to where I wanted (there seemed to be many pointer fix ups in the heap that made it crash before a control structure overwrite).

With the example given, I couldn't get it to do anything, no 4 byte overwrite. I seem not to be able to step through a overwrite of the UEF in visual studio, I read somewhere it was because the debugger overwrites the Exception handler already so the original pointer isn't called thus the overflow overwrites the wrong address.

I was able to get the SP2 one to work out of visual studio but not within, does anyone have a way around this issue.

Paul.

halvar () gmx de wrote:

hey paul,

have you gotten to the point of being able to write arbitrary data ?

----- Original Message ----- From: "pbb" <pbb () 65535 com>