Dailydave mailing list archives

sky != falling

From: Dave Aitel <dave () immunitysec com>
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2005 11:45:32 -0400

I know everyone is freaking, but I don't think there's going to be a DTC worm. More to the point, Sinan Eren doesn't think there's going to be a DTC (MS05-051) worm, and if anyone knows, it's him. Even if you can predict or leak VirtualAlloc() addresses, which is probably unlikely for anyone any time soon, there's a lot of variable in the kinds of machines that are vulnerable. Is that SP4 up2date? Is it slipstream? This bug isn't going to have a worm. I hate to step up against Marc and Neel, but imo, no worm.

If there IS a worm, I predict it's going to be the ms_netware bug. That bug is so easy (once you have a decent widechar.py - thanks bas!) that you can use it in buffer overflow 101 classes. The umpnp bug is a bit more complex, you can overwrite eip with 00XX00YY where XX and YY are characters from a registry key you get to pick. It's fun for the whole family. Do you A) spam the heap with lots of your shellcode? or B) off by two EIP and hope for something cool? C) find an 0day.

I got some questions from various people asking "What's the most important bug just released?" My answer was "Who cares? The most important bug is the one that will get released next month."

Has anyone noticed that Microsoft requires you to download and run a "validation tool" from an HTTP:// site in order to get the rollup patch? It's like a dsniffer's dream come true.

-dave