Dailydave mailing list archives

RE: Sourcefire Acquired by Check Point Software

From: Ron Gula <rgula () tenablesecurity com>
Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2005 21:52:06 -0400

What should be of more concern to the community is that the Nessus
source is being closed. Personally, I would have suggested to adjust
pricing a bit and add restrictions to counter reseller-leeching, but
keep the source open.

How would charging people more money prevent them from not abiding by the GPL or even Tenable's license agreements?

- Nessus 2 source is still available, GPLed and will be maintained.
- Nessus 3 will be available shortly and be free

Now that it is being closed, I wonder how long it
takes before the community once supporting Renauld will fork the current
code and carry on by themselves.

We haven't had any support of this kind. I really feel there are very capable programers out there who can contribute to Nessus, but to date we haven't really gotten any. Even on the NASL vuln check side, a majority of the plugins are Tenable.

Open source software has the interesting property to survive attempts to
privatize code into proprietary environments, mainly be forking and
living on.

It sure does. Again, we're not trying to hide Nessus 2 code. We've just made many improvements to the engine and don't want to expose these algorithms.

(Ron, I know you read DD. Please reconsider turning your back on the
community. Raise prices or do whatever, but leave the code open.)

Why do you need the code? Right now, the vulnerability checks are still in NASL too.

I don't think we're turning our back at all. Giving away a product two to five times faster than the current open source version makes most people very happy.

Rasing prices screws the average nessus user and puts recent vulnerability checks out of the hands of people who can't afford it.

--rgula