Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Shower thoughts

From: Dan Moniz <dnm () pobox com>
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2005 06:50:25 -0800

Brian Caswell wrote:
On Dec 28, 2005, at 11:44 PM, val smith wrote:

would you want to use said malware?

I can think of a rather good argument for and against using public malware in a hypothetical 'get your daughter back from the druggie porn star ex-wife and save yourself from sure death alla breve Swordfish' situation?

For:

Two simple words "plausible deniability". If a zillion people use the same malware, its hard to say who did what. Malware is finger-printable. Why leave your fingerprints when you can leave Elvis's? Be the ghetto smurf.

Against:

If its known, it can be found. Maybe not by the "public", but by someone. Having your malware usage "found" raises the risk at getting caught.

val's original question could also be written:

s/malware/exploits/

and/or:

s/malware/scripts/

and the answer there has been both yes and no, but the only part we have ever really cared about was if "yes" case ever existed, which it does (e.g. the existence of script kiddies depends on scripts).

--
Dan Moniz <dnm () pobox com> [http://pobox.com/~dnm/]