Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: File-format based vulns - How do IDS/IPS vendors detect them?

From: Matt Hargett <matt () use net>
Date: Wed, 09 Nov 2005 12:37:15 +0000

Joshua Russel wrote:
After the recent announcement of file-format based vulnerabilities in
MS Patch Tuesday, I was wondering how do IPS/IDS vendors claim to
protect against them (most of them like TippingPoint claim to do so).
Do they scan data transfer streams (SMTP, FTP, HTTP etc) for these
malicious files or is it a local check? If they do detect it on the
network doesn't it screw up their device due to high chance of false
positives and high resource consumption.

I imagine they wait for files that exploit the bug(s) in the wild, or craft their own. Then they probably make a signature for a specific sequence of bytes within said file. There might be other sanity checking, it really depends on how much state they can keep in memory at wire-speed, which depends on how much (if any) packet reassembly they do, if they decode base64 email attachment streams, etc.

I haven't worked on IDSes in years, so if there are more articulate practices now, someone please correct me.