Dailydave mailing list archives

Concurrency

From: Dave Aitel <dave () immunitysec com>
Date: Tue, 08 Nov 2005 12:55:13 -0500

I want to be able to put notes next to my email. Sometimes someone sends me an attachment and it says something vague like "Contract" or whatever. I want to put notes in the margin of that email and have them get saved. Maybe in "digital ink" or whatever the latest buzzword is. Also, I don't see why Mozilla doesn't create a .mozilla imap folder and store my filters there so I don't need to create them over and over again. There should be a big company that has fingers in all of the major open source projects that you can outsource dev projects to. Someone you could have under NDA so you can pass your corporate spreadsheets to them and say "This doesn't work in OpenOffice 2.0. Go make it work in 3.0, please". Also it's funny that Mozilla's spell checker doesn't recognize "Mozilla".

If you haven't read this, then it's worth the 10 seconds it takes.
http://wired.com/news/privacy/0,1848,69488-3,00.html?tw=wn_story_page_next2

"""
Jeff Moss: Some researchers now just think that it's too much effort. They have to play politician now (with the companies) when all they want to do is play researcher.... There are some vulnerability-assessment tools that have come out ... that (uncover) five or six vulnerabilities (in software) that have never been announced. The (product) vendors don't know about them. The people who write the tools are just busy writing them, and they don't want to spend time holding the hand of all these manufacturers. That's kind of interesting, because the first chance that these vendors have of knowing there's a problem with their product is when somebody calls them up and says, "Hey, I just downloaded this tool and found five problems (in your product)."

"""

There are many fuzzers, but this one is mine. Without my fuzzer, I am nothing; without me, my fuzzer is nothing. Annoyingly, the term "Vulnerability Assessment" means many things to many people.

There are some people out there saying that finding bugs is worthless and doesn't help anyone. I encourage this thought because if it succeeds then anyone with SPIKE from 1999 will be a one eyed man in the land of the blind. And just for the record, it's certainly possible that lots of bugs are found by multiple people at once. I dunno where people who've never written exploits or found vulns get off saying that all vulns are found once uniquely. If two people with similar skill levels audit the same piece of software they're likely to find at least some of the same bugs. That just makes intuitive sense. There's not an infinite supply of bugs, just lots of them. Like oil or "sea bass". Eventually you run out. We're pretty near this point on Linux - the cost for writing a remote exploit for bob_ftp server.exe on Windows is about 500 bucks. The cost of doing the same against a modern Linux is 50K. It's doable, but it's a 10 month investment and by the time your finished product comes out the other end, the bug has been found by someone else and it's patched.

-dave