Dailydave mailing list archives

RE: Hurricane Fatigue

From: "Aleksander P. Czarnowski" <alekc () avet com pl>
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 23:53:25 +0200

No one cares about hurricanes in Miami - most people didn't bother to
evacuate. They slept through it, from what we can tell. Immunity's
administrative team (I.E. myself and Justine) evacuated yesterday
morning. I think you could make a lot of money in Florida selling
"hurricane business centers" that allowed you to bring your pets.
Basically high end hotels that are underground and have generators would
do well, I think.

Good to know you all are fine :)

Also, happy birthday to Joanna of invisiblethings.org. Go buy a custom
rootkit detector today!

http://isc.sans.org/diary.php?storyid=787 <-- hahaha :>
Also, everyone started thinking there was going to be a MS05-047 worm,
but there's not going to be, cause it's just not that easy. Then they
realized it was the older UMPNP bug, so whatever. You can always tell
the difference between IDS people who haven't written (or tried to
write) the exploit, and people who have. The Snort BackOrifice bug is a
lot easier than people are making it sound. "Thousands of versions..." I
dunno where they get this. :> I haven't tested our sploit against the
Sourcefire appliance, but I'm pretty sure one of our two versions would
work out of the box. Does anyone actually run Win32 Snort? I could whip
it up on the plane back to Miami, I guess, if anyone has it installed.
The benefit of open source IDS's is that you can install them on a
grseced box though...so it's possible there won't be a worm because
everyone has that high level of protection only Linux can offer, right? :>
Actually some people do run snort on Win32 systems - I can back up my guess by following (a bit old but still useful)
article on SecurityFocus site ;)

Running Snort on IIS Web Servers: Part I
http://www.securityfocus.com/infocus/1315

Cheers,
Aleksander Czarnowski
AVET INS