Dailydave mailing list archives

Wormy cheese

From: Dave Aitel <dave () immunitysec com>
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2005 15:23:58 -0400

What is it about curdled milk that is so amazingly complex that no one in the New World has figured it out? It's cheaper to buy a 1G USB key than it is a pound of decent cheese over here, which is nutty. I can understand that there aren't a whole lot of cows in Florida (quadrupeds, that is), but it seems like maybe a farmer in the Midwest could use the downtime from Katrina's destruction of our Mississippi seaport to figure out how to make blue cheese that didn't taste like a weak cheddar, or a cheddar that tasted something other than a harder swiss. My local supermarket imports a huge quantity of respectable cheese from Ireland. Why cheese is something you import from tiny countries far away when you have grasslands from sea to shining sea is beyond me though.

Maybe when string theory is done we'll be able to model proteins well enough to get a scientifically perfect 10-dimensional cheese making process that allows even Americans to make non-crappy Gouda. Until then, the only thing more annoying than trying to buy edible cheese in Florida is of course flying anywhere on our "friendly", bankrupt, heavily government subsidized airlines. I'm heading to Malaysia tomorrow for HITB, and I'll be demoing Nematode 0.1 (motto: "the version that pretty much works"). Maybe version 1.0 will model network traffic to fit inside statistical profiles, automatically optimize target lists using arp caches and sniffer logs, or serve microwaved nachos for snacks.

If anyone at HITB has never seen CANVAS and wants to see a quick demo that looks almost exactly like the flash movies on our website, except without all the funny jokes, pull me aside and let me know.

-dave