Dailydave mailing list archives

RE: Check Point Invented (R)(TM) the great sand-boxingand now protects you against "Day0"!

From: "Kohlenberg, Toby" <toby.kohlenberg () intel com>
Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2005 12:56:05 -0700

Gah! This is horrible!

-----Original Message-----
From: dailydave-bounces () lists immunitysec com
[mailto:dailydave-bounces () lists immunitysec com] On Behalf Of H D Moore
Sent: Wednesday, July 06, 2005 5:54 PM
To: dailydave () lists immunitysec com
Subject: Re: [Dailydave] Check Point Invented (R)(TM) the
great sand-boxingand now protects you against "Day0"!

Bahahaha, "wire-speed" executable code dissassembly and
analysis, because
*everyone* knows that executable code looks nothing like application
data! Hey, wait, whats this ascii-encoded shellcode thing...

Some funny excerpts for those too lazy to scan through the
PDF. Too bad
their "design assumptions" cut their entire amazing idea out at the
knees :-)

thanks, I'm glad I didn't spend the time to read it, just from what's
below.

2. Network traffic does not usually contain executable machine
code. In
the rare cases where a legitimate executable code is
transferred over the
network (e.g. download of an .exe file), it can be easily
identified as
such. Typically, EXE files are sent from servers to clients, while
attacks are launched from clients to servers.

Really? Gotta go tell Nimda, Witty, SQL Slammer and other worm
authors that they are doing it wrong

3. It is possible to write an algorithm to detect machine code
in network
traffic with high accuracy, low false positives rates and high
performance. Based on the assumptions above, Check Point created an
algorithm that meets the design goals of the Malicious Code Protector.
Since Malicious Code Protector can detect machine code in network
traffic, and we know that each attack must have machine code from our
assumptions, the algorithm can detect actual attacks regardless of the
specific buffer overflow vulnerabilities an attack is exploiting.

That's a great assumption. Wish it were true.... Seems to me that we've
seen tools showing up constantly that are specifically built to make
this
false.

Looking for Executable Code

The heart of the Malicious Code Protector is a disassembler
engine that
can examine network traffic and detect executable code (i.e.,
disassemble
binary data into machine assembly language). This ability to detect
executable code is related to the assumption that executable code is
normally not allowed to traverse a network, with the exception
of a few
well known cases, such as an FTP transfer of an executable
(*.exe) file.

How about downloading browser helper objects? Firefox extensions?
Those are the easy ones based on looking at my running process list...

I feel sorry for the first network engineer that pitches this to me.
They're going to get their head bitten off.