Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Insecure or Unsecure

From: Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com>
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2005 17:58:42 +0100 (BST)

Plain text email is not insecure.

This demonstrates the fact that I don't know what "insecure" means.

A plain text email can be read by any of the servers it routes over;
that's why banks don't like credit card numbers to be sent via plain
email. So, plain text email is insecure. On the other hand, a plain text
email can't carry malicious software, so it's secure. So is plain text
email secure or insecure?  Answer - I don't know. You have to say "secure
against some particular threat", you can't say "secure".

Is software secure or insecure? Same answer. I don't know.

On the grammatical question originally asked, "unsecure" is a verb,
"insecure" is an adjective.