Dailydave mailing list archives

Spooling for root

From: Dave Aitel <dave () immunitysec com>
Date: Thu, 01 Sep 2005 19:25:48 -0400

So I was on the plane back from Vancouver (Congrats K2 and Mrs. K2!) and I'm thinking, if Immunity, which has .5 people doing research at any given time, had one out of the three critical MS bugs last month, what are the chances that anyone with, say, a tiny team of 10 people, didn't have them all a few years back? I think it'd be interesting to see how many bugs Immunity, with .5 people, has over a long period of time compared to what, say, an organization with a measly 10 people on research has.

If I had a ton of cash, and some reason to do research, I'd probably have two 10 person teams. The first 10 person team would be using today's technology to find and exploit bugs. The second team would be building the next generation of audit and analysis tools. Obviously I don't, or we'd have had more than the one bug this month. I think I could pretty much guarantee complete coverage that way. Anyone want to bet a few million bucks on it?

So I guess the question is, does the Chinese/Russian/US govt have such a setup, and is it a worry for your particular organization? There's a lot of organizations out there that HAVE bet a few million bucks that no one is good enough to have 0day. Gotta laugh at that.

Today we released a finished (mostly local) TAPI and (multi-language) Spooler and (again, multi-language) PNP from the Partner's program into CANVAS Professional. This means some of the cheaper IDS's which haven't paid for the Partner program , but do have CANVAS Professional, will start detecting Spooler and Tapi. But does that mean that there are MORE Spooler attacks, or that the Spooler attacks that have been out there for years are starting to be seen? I wonder if MS will change their web page to remove the stuff about Spooler being a DoS. Our exploit has this funny "bug" where it pops up two shells every time by mistake. That's twice the not-a-DoS for the price of one...

Is anyone at Syscan in Bangkok? Theoretically, today is the first day Window can post to this list, so maybe she'll give us a conference roundup. I guess it's also possible The Grugq will enlighten us, probably from in between some well deserved forensic debauchery.

-dave