Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: RockyCon '05 - a report

From: J B <kybrdcowboy () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2005 07:57:26 -0700

Are there any sites or places I can find out more about this
conference? Also is there any more info available about the new
nachOS? Would love to know more.

Thanks

On 7/5/05, antoheri () hushmail com <antoheri () hushmail com> wrote:

RockyCon '05
============

What follows is an eyewitness account of a con that has set new
standards for every other con out there. The largest underground
party ever thrown on the face of this planet. RockyCon 2005.

On July 1st a massive contingent of blackhats, sellouts and
ex-cons landed in an undisclosed location in the deep woodlands
of Michigan. Meaning, American flags, Jesus is Lord t-shirts, and
promises of hell on bumperstickers for various activities ranging
from coathanger gymnastics to sodomy. Friday's pre-con activities
included stealing microwaves from renowned martial arts experts,
the unveiling of nachOS..an injectable mini-OS that looks like it'll
raise the bar on backdooring standards, and a handson sigint
workshop
involving a rather impressive display of boys-will-be-boys
mentality within the global intelligence community.

Allthough the specifics of the main event are still somewhat clouded
in a haze of pigfat and alcohol, I'll try my best to recapture
the essentials. After being transported from the pick up point
to said undisclosed location, we were introduced to Marty the Pig.
Marty the pig was originally intended to alert the con organisation
of any intrusion attempts. But due to it's high rate of false
positives we got sick of Marty fairly quickly, so we
decided Marty'd serve better as the main focus for the con's 'deep
auditing' track, at the end of which we were left with 150 pounds
of pig, stuffed with chicken and brattwurst, and plenty of bugs.
Also,
vegans suck.

It took about 7 hours for Marty to cook, during which everyone
chipped in to set the stage for the main event. Tent
pitching techniques were pioneered and implemented, tables set up
, and presentations prepared. Then we peeled garlic for 4 hours.
Which,
I have to say, was very zen. As dusk set in, the firepit was lit
and it
was time for RockyCon to go into full swing.

One of the main tracks focused on 'secure by default cap settings in
trusted computing environments', and
introduced something that was described as the 'bottle lever'
technique.
After everyone had a go, the true potential of these advances in cap
abuse became quite apparent and it didn't take long before a bunch
of
people applied it in the wild with an overwhelming successrate. The
presenter of this track was later credited with advancing the art of
default anti-bush tirades, egged on by a Kevin Smith look and act-
alike
dubbed 'Silent Rob'. He also got shot down by the chick with the
nipple
bling, even after hooking her up with a personal demo of blever.c.
Poor
guy.

There were several sidetracks, presented on a massive projection
screen
which provided a nice contrast with the surrounding woodland.
Highlights
here involved a variety of zombie-flicks and listening to Eric Hines
explain how he had a patch and that it wasn't the crypto over a
trance
soundtrack. Followed by the chick with the nipple bling busting
into a
"USA, USA.." chant combined with a slow-clap. Advances right there.

Then of course there was the axe-throwing track (aimed at showing
how
robust the firedoor implementation was in preparation for Sunday's
demonstration). The getting-abso-fucking-shitfaced track was the
most
popular track of the evening, which resulted in a lot of drunken
gorging
involving smores and pigmeat. Someone even got pregnant apparently.

After mixing it up with the local research community the firepit was
fired up some more, and there was a massive cumbayah-vibe felt by
all.
Even by the emo-kid with the checkered shoes. Hours of massive
drunkeness, ethics roundtables, various interesting phonecalls to
pillars of the hacker community, toad appreciation, and lugging a
5000 pound cooler back to the hotel for no apparent reason, later,
it was time to turn in and put out.

The mornings at RockyCon consistently featured a massive display of
farting, swearing, and cognac bottle holding by AcidReflux. His
strong
teeth and jaws were also impressive.

Thus came the 3rd day of RockyCon. Sunday. This day was more
focused on
demos and got kicked off by sitting around severly hungover for a
few
hours wishing death would come quickly. But as our brains slowly
re-hydrated it was time for a panel discussion involving an attack
dog
and Marty the Pig's head. It was concluded that attack dogs and
pigheads
go well together.

As dusk set in, the last set of talks and demos got underway.
Highlight
of the evening was the FireDoor demo, which was presented with an
utter
disregard for the law. From the slides: 'the firedoor is a privately
developed technique credited to GOBBLES Security, aimed at reaching
high
hanging fruit.' Very fruitful indeed. Followed by a demonstration
by the
con's organiser in log maintenance and corn-shell techniques. Then
there
was more drinking rounded out with an aluminium smelting class.

Also demonstrated was the reliable exploitation of a new bugclass
dubbed
'malloting'. Many bugs were squashed in the process and penetration
was
tested succesfully. Then followed the extreme sports demo where
again it
seemed as the guy was lacking any reverence for the law, and burned
it
up on a skateboard.

RockyCon was officially closed by a ritual burning and the looping
of an
inhouse musical production leaked from a large security company.
There
was dancing and firewalking. Ultimately resulting in a fire that
only got more pissed off when you threw water on it. Luckily we had
a pitmaster who wielded a pitchfork with complete disregard for the
law to keep the inferno at bay.

Many thanks to Rocky for throwing one fuck of a party.

Here's some quotes:
===================

"(-after throwing up violently-) Anyone wanna kiss me? :D"

"String is like..loads of fun" ... "*ouch* Strings are dangerous!"

"It's too bad your dog is a souless killer, otherwise we might be
able
to touch it"

"Down Cujo, down"

"Damn, this smells like aluminium hydroxide mixed with magnesium
hydroxide and some simethicone."

"(-2 attendees who shared a room-) Did you ever play spoons?" ...
"Yeah,
just last night, ya fuck."

"o m g"

"w t f"

"(-to chick with nipple bling-) Dude you're totally wearing that to
draw attention to your tits" ... "am not."

"Yeah I founded that bonfire."

"(-to local inhabitant of Dawson's creek like Town-) You do realise
you're the Pacey to her Dawson, right?" .. "What did you call me!?"

"If it's burning blue it means it's over 1500 degrees" ... "Hehe,
look,
it's blue :)"

"You just called me gay didn't you?" ... "and retarded :D :D"

"Oh no this isn't *****'s Microwave, I stole it from the martial
arts
place next door... :D"

"(-between two people discussing how to drain blood from Marty-) I
guess
we could siphon the blood out." ... "or! if we elevated the pig I
think we can use a tube and suck on it until the blood starts to
come
out, on like..an elevation" ... "dude..."

Lessons learnt:
===============

Throwing an axe at a firewall implementation is harder than it
looks.

Trying to make hippies in tie-dye shirts become aware of their
surroundings is harder than it looks.

Breaking a pig's backbone is harder than it looks.

Shoving garlic into a pig's eyeball is harder than it looks.

Trying to get rid of the enormous birds of prey attracted by burning
pigfat on a +1500 degrees fire, is harder than it looks.

Lifting 150 pounds of dead pig is harder than it looks.

Trying to entice an attack dog to furiously attack a pig's head is
harder than it looks.

Writing demos that don't bluescreen Windows XP is harder than it
looks.

Trying to keep a drunk whitehat from cuddling up to you in the
shared
hotelroom is harder than it looks.

Tricking the chick with the nipple bling to take you home is harder
than
it looks.

Trying to piss off the local police force is harder than it looks.

Trying to build fire with nothing but some chocolate and a soda can
is
harder than it looks.