Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Encoding hacker total quality management

From: Steve Lord <steve () buyukada co uk>
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2005 21:15:01 +0100

Dave Aitel wrote:

Today, in addition to various running-the-company tasks, I'm writing a
specialized encoder/decoder. When you're writing decoders you become
(unless you're me, cause I'm stupid in this way :>) very concious about
the "size" of the decoder in bytes, and how much your encoded shellcode
is bigger than your decoded shellcode.
Some of the tiny demos on scene.org do some whizzy tricks to get the job done, and it's fascinating to see things from people who seem to spend all their time squeezing as much into 64/128/512/1024 bytes as possible. You might want to look there for inspiration, or just the whizzy effects.

Have you considered compressing your shellcode? I guess it depends on the goal, but a simple compression algorithm might be able to reduce your size considerably if planned out. Mind you, if your shellcode is so big that it needs compressing, then I guess you have a whole load of other problems ;)

Size is a weird thing. I've always been a bit obsessed with the
"ADM/TESO/GOBBLES[*]" effect. One of the claims of GOBBLES was that they
were the "largest" hacker group. After apache-nosejob.c this isn't hard
to believe, seeing as they managed to outsmart the best of the time,
while still making a joke about it. That sort of sploit isn't something
you drop unless you have some things that are a lot better in your cache.
I think it depends on the group dynamic. IIRC ISS were up on a very high horse at the time with the way they handled things, and GOBBLES always appeared (at least to me) to be very anti-security vendor in orientation. Maybe it was just too big an opportunity to miss?

Another datapoint: ADM and TESO made almost inapproprietly large spashes
in the community when they were active. Almost all their exploits were
beyond the standard, and at times it seemed they were the ones finding
all the new bug-classes. But at their peak, they couldn't have been very
large groups. Certainly smaller than the reverse engineering and
security group at a good sized IDS/IPS company these days.
I think a lot of it again depends on the group dynamic. Larger groups tend to have factions within them, smaller groups tend to work better at functioning for the good of the group as a whole. As much of a waste of time it is, the Big Brother TV series seems to illustrate this idea really well, although I guess nobody voted members of ADM out each week until there weren't any left. Another thing to compare with is the way the company works. A company with a strong hacker ethic will probably knock out far much more interesting stuff than a fully corporate borg type organisation. Apples Skunkworks and @Stake's research teams spring to mind. A more corporate organisation with much larger teams and more rigidly defined scopes for research (such as those at Microsoft) probably churn out more directly relevant and commercially viable research, although this is a completely subjective opinion and I could be utterly wrong about this.

Looking at a status message I sent to Immunity yesterday, everyone had about
three exploits on it, in active development. You just can't get that
level of performance when people are sitting in an office checking on
the stock price and getting free soda. And you can't maintain it for 3-5
years, which is how long most hacker groups last before merging,
disolving, and reforming. (Although I think Immunity will be around for
a lot longer. :>)
Hey, don't knock free soda! Remember code red? Ok, erm... well we all know how that turned out, maybe you're right after all about the soda :)