Dailydave mailing list archives

Covert Fingerprinting "annual contest to write, innocent-looking C code implementing malicious behavior"

From: vigilaro () gmx net
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2005 07:53:32 -0400

===============================
ROOTSECURE.NET DAILY NEWSLETTER
===============================

Underhanded C Contest: Covert Fingerprinting "annual contest to write
innocent-looking C code implementing malicious behavior"
<http://www.brainhz.com/underhanded/>

This page can also be found at
http://bingweb.binghamton.edu/~scraver/underhanded/ <http://bingweb.binghamton.edu/%7Escraver/underhanded/>

<snip>
Introduction

Inspired by Daniel Horn's Obfuscated V contest in the fall of 2004, we hereby announce an annual contest to write innocent-looking C code implementing malicious behavior. In many ways this is the exact opposite of the Obfuscated C Code Contest: in this contest you must write code that is as readable, clear, innocent and straightforward as possible, and yet it must fail to perform at its apparent function. To be more specific, it should do something subtly evil.

Every year, we will propose a challenge to coders to solve a simple data processing problem, but with covert malicious behavior. Examples include miscounting votes, shaving money from financial transactions, or leaking information to an eavesdropper. The main goal, however, is to write source code that easily passes visual inspection by other programmers.
</snip>