Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Ants, trees, etc.

From: dvorak <dvorak () xs4all nl>
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2005 21:19:21 +0200

On Wed, Jun 22, 2005 at 02:44:24PM +0200, Jonatan B wrote:
To score, I'd run a quick algo across each block, and if it does what
"primary" (original) block does (according to the emulator), then it
would have a higher score.

If I understood what you wrote correctly, then verifying that these two
blocks of code yields the same result when given the same input means
solving the halting problem.

First of all i might be talking out of my uhm bottom, but i never understand
the references to the halting problem that are throw around very often.
As i understand the halting problem basicly states:

There are programs for which it is impossible to determine if they ever end,
and various extentions to this basic idea.

However i have never seen analysis that show whether current programs belong
into that group. Basicly there are programs possible for which it is impossible
to define, but it doesn't state if those programs are common, whether most
programs currently have this property etc. So while the theory might be nice,
does it apply to programs that are currently in common use. (This also in
refernce to automated flaw checkers etc).

Please kill my assumptions now.

dvorak.

Jonathan.