Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: A continual revolution

From: Florian Weimer <fw () deneb enyo de>
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2005 23:25:58 +0200

* Dave Aitel:

Apple, of all companies, is reportedly using early Pd functionality
to prevent you from installing Mac OS X on non-Apple boxes.

This is the part I don't understand.  Pd might be able to provide
remote attestation that some particular piece of software is running
on the machine (or, somewhat easier, that it only runs certain
software).  But if your users don't need some kind of online service
that relies on the attestation, there is no obvious way to prevent
them from running your software on an emulator.

The interesting question will be what happens to VMware.  Will it run
with MacOS X as a host OS?  As a guest OS?  On which hardware and in
which combinations?

Which is a good thing, since:
1. It's nice to be able to say "Only GPG can read my GPG key"

Sure.  But how can I be sure that the TPM actually enforces this
restriction?  Unless there's a convincing answer, best practices
related to GnuPG won't change, I fear.

2. It'll not be as strong for DRM as media vendors would like to think
it will be, in my opinion. Fair Use is still fair use.

Pfft.  I'm not sure what vendors want.  The downside of Windows DRM is
that they are pretty much subject to the whims of Microsoft.  This
probably interferes with their own world domination plans.