Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Distributed Phishing

From: Joe Stewart <jstewart () lurhq com>
Date: Mon, 2 May 2005 13:47:55 -0400

On Monday 02 May 2005 01:29 pm, byte_jump wrote:
I thought you folks would be interested in this new phishing tactic,
which is really quite clever.

I know of a company that is experiencing a phishing scam that is
organized in a way that I have never seen before. The hostname that
is hosting the phishing site is served up by five different name
servers. Those five name servers are on home computers residing on
networks such as Comcast, Charter, etc.

The name servers are using some sort of round-robin DNS to serve up
five different IP addresses for the phishing site, and the five IP
addresses used are changing every ten to fifteen minutes. The IP's
hosting the phishing site also are home machines on the Comcast,
Charter, etc. networks.

This network has been in operation for almost a couple of years now. It
was first observed in June 2003 by spamfighters in NANAE. The phishing
site itself is located on a single host; the cablemodem IPs are used as
reverse proxies to that host. Back in 2003 it was serving up different
illicit porn sites, but we believed that was just a front in order to
phish for credit card information from would-be registrants.

-Joe

--
Joe Stewart, GCIH
Senior Security Researcher