Dailydave mailing list archives

Using Google Desktop Search for remote system monitoring

From: "Abe Usher" <securitylist () sharp-ideas net>
Date: Sat, 08 Jan 2005 18:04:33 -0500

Once installed on a host, Google Desktop Search provides some great
capabilities:

"Find your email, files, web history and chats instantly, view web pages
you've seen, even when you're not online..." [1].

As a learning exercise, I decided to see if I could make desktop search
results available remotely across a TCP/IP network.  In fact you can,
but such use is not part of Google's original intent or end user license
agreement [2].

If you are interested in using "desktop" search remotely, check out my
write up at:
http://www.sharp-ideas.net/

Cheers,
Abe Usher, CISSP