Dailydave mailing list archives

marbles, physics

From: Dave Aitel <dave () immunitysec com>
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 23:18:54 -0500

A few weeks ago a story about some researchers creating a black hole inside a fireball of some kind hit slashdot (http://science.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/03/17/1541230&from=rss). I asked the physics researcher, who specializes in tiny physics (even by their standards) who's taking Spanish class with me about it. Today he handed me a paper entitled "The RHIC fireball as a dual black hole", by one Horatiu Nastase of Brown University. He then explained to me that they were not really talking about a black hole, but something that had the properties of a black hole, but which is not a black hole.

He actually agrees with the math behind the paper, but does not agree with the conclusion. The basic theory is that they took two large gold atoms and threw them together and then expected jets, but instead got a thermal distribution, indicative of a black hole's quantum effects.

But, as he points out, this is like throwing two bags of a thousand marbles at each other (where marbles are quarks) and expecting a lot of direct hits. His intuition is that you only reach the conclusion that what you're seeing is a soliton (black hole-ish thing) if you think you can't get a thermal like distribution from a simpler explaination. (I.e. bags of marbles thrown at each other probably are very thermal-like without black holes). Basically, he didn't think much of the experiment itself ("There are easier ways to test string theory") but he thought the ideas were cool.

My point is this: Don't be the guy without experimental experience. Immunity is teaching our Win32 Overflows and MSRPC analysis classes on April 4th here in NYC. We still have some room for people who want to know the buffer overflows experimentally. At the end of the first two days, you WILL be able to write buffer overflows. At the end of the fourth day, you'll be able to find overflows in MSRPC applications. It's that simple.

Thanks,
Dave Aitel
Immunity, Inc.