Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Lap Dances for All

From: Jason <security () brvenik com>
Date: Thu, 03 Mar 2005 09:09:17 -0600

1. Make the software industry liable for damages from worms etc. -- obviously, they
would have to buy insurance for this

Making vendors liable for damages is a great idea but I think the result would be inflated product prices as a result of inflated insurance premiums and still no better security. This also creates market pressure that ultimately prevents competition and stifles innovation.

What about open source? What about the little guy?

2. Create a market for vulnerabilities where the folks that find bugs have a place to go
and get paid for their work

The Vulnerability market is a great idea but I think the form it exists in today is sufficient. Evolving it into an official market creates an opportunity to insert bugs into the application to later sell for a large financial gain.