Dailydave mailing list archives

P's and C's of Internal Code Auditing ?

From: Orlando Padilla <xbud () g0thead com>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2005 14:21:00 -0500

Hi all,

I'm looking to formulate a good list of pros and cons on how having an *internal* code auditing team (working closely with Dev/QA) would provide more value than damage to a company's overall reputation. Most of the examples I've seen/read about as in "Practical Cryptography - Bruce and Neils" and "Building Secure Software - Viega and Mcgraw" iirc - do elaborate on the value a security architect would provide during QA periods and more importantly during design phase. However they discredited these statements and their value by stating the tradeoff between having a good standing in the security industry and what it costs to dish out secure applications doesn't pay off.

Is this really always the case?

I understand that some companies simply cannot afford the cost of having expensive 'Security Architects' to work with their main dev teams, but I'd like to focus on the fortune 100-500 corps who can.

I apolgize ahead of time for re-posting a relatively popular question, but I failed to get anything useful out of google or old mailing list archives on the topic.

Orlando