Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: New presentation is up: 0days: How hacking reallyworks

From: Ron Gula <rgula () tenablesecurity com>
Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2005 16:35:00 -0500

At 04:17 PM 2/1/2005, Kevin Ponds wrote:
I'm not suggesting that you guys should quit your jobs, or that deep
pen-testing isn't value adding.  I just think that these guys who come
in, start their automated scanning tool (which is usually rebranded
nessus), get drunk while its running, and collect money are kind of
worthless.

Yeah, but lots of folks are used to paying large sums of money
for this so they are "compliant". Even if I can sprinkle the IBM
magic pixie dust on all my systems so they are patched 100% 24x7,
I still need to prove this to the auditors who are in my hair.

If things get *that* good from a patch level, we'll probably start
to focus more on network change as in - gee, your web server does
not have any known vulnerabilities, but what business function
does it really serve?

Ron Gula