Dailydave mailing list archives

Go British Telecom and British Cybercops!

From: Dave Aitel <dave () immunitysec com>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2005 04:15:10 -0500

Seriously, someone should be fired over this in the Metropolitan Police's Computer Crime Unit. I guess given this general level of technical skill, you can imagine the success they're having catching actual hackers. (Assuming the story is true, which I'm betting it is).

http://www.boingboing.net/2005/01/27/jailed_for_using_a_n.html

(I notice www.dec.co.uk has apparantly blocked Lynx using an IPS of some sort. At least, it's not working for my lynx, but it does work for firefox.)

I'm going to be in DC at MSRPC training with Justine for a few days, so if you're in DC and you see someone at a bar and they look like me, then they're probably me. Probably what I'll be doing is asking random guys why they're in a city with such a horrible male:female ratio, when a much better male:female ratio is available in either Atlanta or NYC. :>

       Thursday, January 27, 2005

*Jailed for using a nonstandard browser*

A Londonder made a tsnuami-relief donation using lynx -- a text-based browser used by the blind, Unix-users and others -- on Sun's Solaris operating system. The site-operator decided that this "unusual" event in the system log indicated a hack-attempt, and the police broke down the donor's door and arrested him. From a mailing list:For donating to a Tsunami appeal using Lynx on Solaris 10. BT [British Telecom] who run the donation management system misread an access log and saw hmm thats a non standard browser not identifying it's type and it's doing strange things. Trace that IP. Arrest that hacker.

   Armed police, a van, a police cell and national news later the
   police have gone in SWAT styley and arrested someone having their lunch