Dailydave mailing list archives

Smoke & certs. was: RE: Poland.

From: surreal () delusory org
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2004 14:24:21 -0700

Dave wrote:
... Also, if you're trying to hire
people and have to hire Americans who can get clearance, then you pretty
much can only hire ex-Intel people and monks, because as far as I can
tell, those are the only people in America who have skills and don't
smoke pot.

Things certainly could have changed since, but... in 1982 I enlisted in
the U.S. Army and, in a fit of inexplicable honesty told the recruiter
"sure, I smoke". He asked if I was willing to quit, I said "yes", and
within the year I had my Top Secret clearance.

"Having" smoked may not disqualify you from getting a clearance.  That
little slip of info made for a fun interview with my first 1st Sargeant
too:

Cranky old guy: "y'all smoke that marahoochie?"
Me: "Huh?"
C.o.g. "Pot! It says here you smoke pot!"
Me: "Oh. I used to. I quit."

As far as I know, I didn't even lose it after Nice Doggie found hash in
my area. (D'oh!)

I've got a question about clearances, since y'all are here. Does the
clearance expire after a length of time? How would one find out the
status of their clearance?

I'm not whinging 'bout me job, just curious, I am, guv.

Thanks, all, and Dave for running an interesting list.

Surreal