Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Interesting article about the CIA

From: Dave Aitel <dave () immunitysec com>
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2004 12:39:23 -0500

Just some more links and a quote I thought was interesting. The intel agencies' ability to close ranks around its own typically makes the "blue wall of silence" look like a garden hedge. For all these articles to hit at once sends a signal that something is actually happening. I can imagine the White House leaking the name of an under cover operative pissed a lot of people off as well.

http://news.google.com/?hl=en&ncl=http://www.nashuatelegraph.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article%3FAID%3D/20041114/NEWS03/41114005/-1/news
http://www.smh.com.au/news/World/Departing-CIA-deputy-warns-more-will-quit/2004/11/14/1100384432430.html?oneclick=true

This quote appears in several articles: "The agency is being purged on instructions from the White House," a former senior CIA official who maintains close ties to both the agency and to the White House said. "Goss was given instructions ... to get rid of those soft leakers and liberal Democrats. The CIA is looked on by the White House as a hotbed of liberals and people who have been obstructing the President's agenda."

"It's the worst roiling I've ever heard of," one former official said. "There's confusion throughout the ranks and an extraordinary loss of morale and incentive."

So I guess my question is: Is this a cry for help from Democratic backers in Congress, or is it a shot across the bow?

-dave

Dave Aitel wrote:

There's 2 CIA articles that are 2 of the top 5 of the most viewed articles on washingtonpost.com under "Nation".

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A48254-2004Nov13.html?sub=AR
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A46580-2004Nov12.html

Bugmenot:
no () nonya com
belowme

None of the articles are as good as the one in the Times today by Douglas Jehl, although both are similar. I have to assume the Post and the Times' reporters have the same contacts inside the Agency. I think Jehl is closer to the sources however, based on his article.

http://www.worldsecuritynetwork.com/_dsp/dsp_authorBio3.cfm?authID=40

Here is the article from today: (cypherp, cypherp)

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/11/14/politics/14cia.html?oref=login

This article is both interesting for its subject and for its management perspectives and notes on how to change a large organization, or how not to, as the case may be. Government by "mandate" clearly isn't working in this case, and I can't imagine someone confidently facing the CIA's upper echelon with politicking. I have a feeling Goss is learning new meaning for the term "topping from the bottom."

My analysis says that Mr. Knappes or one of his close friends/aides is actually one of the sources. Who else would know about his personal pictures being taken down?

Dave Aitel
Immunity, Inc.