Dailydave mailing list archives

BioNet

From: dave <dave () immunitysec com>
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 2004 09:26:07 -0400

Ya know what would be cool? If when I walked into JPMorgan Chase they had a little machine where I put some sort of biometric, and then it automatically printed out my visitor badge because the other day (or year) I'd registered myself during a sales call at Citibank. Not too hard to do, you just need a simple database, some network connectivity (a "web service" say, so you can hook into every company's proprietary badge system), and a little machine that captures fingerprints or whatever (be nice to use all the different leading systems opportunisitically). This way all the guard has to do is verify my name (and perhaps my appointment) and look at the picture to notice it looks like me, and then they can wave me on my way. Most sales people visit about 3 companies a week, right? It'd be cool if all of them subscribed to the service, and you didn't have to wait in line while someone who makes 7 dollars an hour pretends to know how to read English, just to get to your meeting. For bonus fun you could hook it up to Passport or the Liberty Alliance or whatever so when I slide my "smartbadge" into the computer they've assigned to me, my email pops up. Another advantage of that would be that when I register the first time with some new biometric, I don't have to read my name out to the guard, I can just give them my email address and a low-grade password and it can pull the personal information for me. :> There's probably a lot of work to be done writing standards for normalizing biometric data and whatnot.

Is anyone doing this? What's the use of a behemoth monopoly if I can't have big brother making my life more efficient?

-dave
(note: I'm not suggesting this for military bases or other high-security requirements, just for the basic post-9/11 checkpoints we do every day)