Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Theo's presentation on exploit prevention

From: Matt Hargett <matt () use net>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 09:56:58 +0000

Mordy Ovits wrote:
Would anyone here care to comment on Theo's claims in this presentation?:
http://cvs.openbsd.org/papers/auug04/index.html

Particularly the claim in the summary:
http://cvs.openbsd.org/papers/auug04/mgp00034.html

"These changes really stop attacks."

Do they just make it more difficult? Or do they really deprecate stack and heap smashing attacks?

I don't see how they're dealing with poor signal/exception handling attacks here, which is where I think the next big batch of bugs will come from. (I mentioned this in my Blackhat Windows talk, and two of the 10 people who attended agreed.)

I'm not sure I see anything for web application oriented bugs, either.

I'm curious what the performance hit of their stack/heap checking is, though -- anyone have a URL for info on that?