Dailydave mailing list archives

RE: WinZip

From: kquest () toplayer com
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2004 12:35:45 -0400

I just got an insulting email from
one of the list users where I was called
a moron. It's amazing... I was simply asking
what other people knew about the bug
without claiming to know much myself.
All I know came from the following links:

http://isc.sans.org/diary.php?date=2004-09-02
http://secunia.com/advisories/12430/
http://www.securitytracker.com/alerts/2004/Sep/1011132.html

They claim that remote code execution is possible
and that it's a "highly critical" bug. Given
that the install base is high and that most
people don't update WinZip, I indicated that there's
a potential, at least in theory, for something
pretty bad to happen and asked what other people
thought or knew about it. I'm sure somebody is
trying to reverse engineer the patch as I'm
typing this.

Kyle