Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Another anonymized posting.

From: Matt Hargett <matt () use net>
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 2004 16:02:14 -0700

Rodney Thayer wrote:

At 06:26 PM 6/9/2004 -0400, Dave Aitel wrote:

anonymized posting please:

BTW, the way things are going, I'd consider switching to svn.

and why?  what was the redeeming social value in CVS to begin with?
automerge, which never worked?  claims of tree corruption, which
were never substantiated?

is there some reason you have an intense urge to have a server-based
source tree mechanism to slow down development?  what's wrong with RCS?

Auto-merge works most of the time with small non-cowboy development teams who have componentized things decently and therefore don't do double edits. Clearcase does a better job IMO, but your complex shit statement below applies to it.

CVS and RCS are both differential based, which some people really don't like. They'd rather the client did the diffing, since that's where the smarts for different diffing approaches based on filetype should be done. This makes sense to me, but some people strongly disagree for some reason.

Of course, if you don't need diffs, branching, labels, post-commit triggers, etc then just tar up your source every x hours and untar in case of disaster. RCS vs CVS vs Clearcase vs Source(un)Safe vs Subversion vs SourceIntegrity vs whatever is not an incredibly useful discussion if the parties involved don't all have the same requirements of a change management system.