Dailydave mailing list archives

Patent-pending==retarded

From: Dave Aitel <dave () immunitysec com>
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2004 16:43:23 -0800

http://www.smashguard.org got posted to bugrtraq yesterday.

When will people realize that "patent pending" is a sign of stupidity and ignorance, and not something to be proud of? If I wasn't knee deep in threading issues, I'd go into depth on how no one, not in 20 years, not in 2000 years, is going to use this "solution" to buffer overflows. Instead, I'll just say that they quote PaX as an address randomization technique, instead of understanding what it really is. They have it in their tech report under the section 3.2. "Modification of the Executable". They have no clue. Carla E Brodley and T.N. Vijaykumar should be ashamed of themselves. What they are guilty of, like everyone writing ROI of Security Investment papers without at least considering the possibility that a paper written ten years ago about a different issue is not relevant, is bad science. Apparantly the price for bad science is strangers making fun of you on mailing lists that get archived by Google.

Dave Aitel
CTO
Immunity, Inc.