Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Applied watermarks explained to moronic profs worldwide.

From: Mordy Ovits <movits () bloomberg com>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2004 13:53:42 -0500

On Tuesday 13 January 2004 05:14 am, Dave Aitel wrote:
Which is a bizarre way to solve the problem. A watermark is defined as
something hard or impossible for the human eye to see, whereas the
thing you are trying to protect is exactly that which the human eye
can see. A edge detection fingerprint is easy, fast, and a better
solution overall.

I don't want to be in the position of defending watermarking's validity, so
let me just play devil's advocate for a moment, and then drop it.

<devil>
Watermarks are preferred to other image recognition techniques because they
have the property of being difficult to remove.
</devil>

Of course we know that in practice they are no such thing, but that is what
they are *sold as*.  They're about as successful as this vapid watermark
respecting technique will be:

Everyone knows that counterfeiters would never pirate an older copy of
photoshop or crack the current one.  That would be copyright infringement,
and counterfeiters are very meticulous about that sort of thing.

Mordy
--
Mordy Ovits
Network Security