Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: anonymized post

From: "Nexus" <nexus () patrol i-way co uk>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 23:54:57 -0000

the native wouldn't jay walk.  no cars in sight.  dead empty roads.  34
degrees.  raining.  like 15 blocks to go. standing on a street corner
waiting
for the fucking light to turn. we invariably left them in the dust...

i don't get the whole no jaywalking thing...

I'm the same - but saying that, I have seen that before.
Having lived in .de for 5 years, you will see the same there - red light, no
traffic 'till horizon in any direction and everyone waits for the green
man... attempts by Johnny Foreigner like myself to cross said tumbleweed
strewn highway that's being hitched on by Rutger Hauer, will be met by
shouts of "child murderer!" from the native Germans present.   I then did
the same by simple virtue of blending in, which when you are being hunted by
people with AK47's that will quite happily shoot .au tourists dead on the
offchance that you are UK .mil, seemed like a suitable action to take.
Even though I don't know how to write in German, Wir mal sehen- est kommt
darauf wer fragt, na ?   Ich bin nur eine dumme insel affe ;-)

Oh, the point (;-), blending in is often the best way, IMHO.   Quite easy I
find in the US as well, as the assumption is that I'm .au or .nz as I don't
speak like wot Dick van Dyke did, so I isn't brit like innit eh, stone the
crows guv'ner me ol' mucker, cor blimey !

Cheers.