Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: [FD] Mozilla extensions: a security nightmare

From: "Teddy A PURWADI" <teddyap () access net id>
Date: Fri, 7 Aug 2015 07:27:12 +0000

Fri, Aug 7, 2015.
2:26:54 PM.
Yes Please :-)
Thanks

cheers,
/tap

-----Original Message-----
From: Jakob Holderbaum <hi () jakob io>
Date: Fri, 7 Aug 2015 09:13:04
To: <bugtraq () securityfocus com>
Subject: Re: [FD] Mozilla extensions: a security nightmare

I want to stress the point made here.

Please continue the rather childish accusations *in private*.

On 08/07/2015 08:52 AM, Frank Waarsenburg wrote:
Time to unsubscribe from Bugtraq. I follow that list to be informed
of vulnerabilities, not to get spammed by fighting ego's. Get a
life.

___________________________________

Frank Waarsenburg Chief Information Security Officer

RAM Infotechnology

-----Original Message----- From: Steve Friedl
[mailto:steve () unixwiz net] Sent: vrijdag 7 augustus 2015 8:17 To:
'Stefan Kanthak'; 'Mario Vilas' Cc: 'bugtraq'; 'fulldisclosure'

Posting on top because that's where the cursor happens to be is
like
sh*tt*ng in your pants because that's where your *ssh*l* happens to
be!

Here, let me fix this for you:

"I don't expect to be taking seriously by any technical community"

-----Original Message----- From: Stefan Kanthak
[mailto:stefan.kanthak () nexgo de] Sent: Thursday, August 06, 2015
12:33 PM To: Mario Vilas Cc: bugtraq; fulldisclosure Subject: Re:
[FD] Mozilla extensions: a security nightmare

"Mario Vilas" <mvilas () gmail com> wrote:

W^X applies to memory protection, completely irrelevant here.

I recommend to revisit elementary school and start to learn reading!

http://seclists.org/bugtraq/2015/Aug/8

| JFTR: current software separates code from data in virtual memory
and |       uses "write xor execute" or "data execution prevention"
to |       prevent both tampering of code and execution of data. |
The same separation and protection can and of course needs to be |
applied to code and data stored in the file system too!

Plus you're saying in every situation when a user can overwrite its
 own binaries in its own home folder it's a bug

Again: learn to read!

<http://seclists.org/bugtraq/2015/Aug/14>

| No. Writing executable code is NOT the problem here. | The problem
is running this code AFTER it has been tampered. | (Not only) Mozilla
but does NOT detect tampered code.

- that would make every single Linux distro vulnerable whenever you
 install some software in your own home directory that only you can
use.

# mount /home -onoexec

If you're talking about file and directory permissions it makes
sense to talk about privilege escalation.

No.

But I don't think you really understand those security principles
you're citing. For example, can you give me an example of an
attack
scenario?

The attack vector is OBVIOUS, exploitation is TRIVIAL.

Also, take a chill pill. Your aggressive tone isn't really helping
you at all.

--
Jakob Holderbaum, M.Sc.
Embedded Software & Test Engineer