Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Windows 7/8 admin account installation password stored in the clear in LSA Secrets

From: "Dnegel X." <dnegel666 () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2013 20:18:52 -0400

1. I didn't find an explanation about this behavior that deals with
installation password, although this LSA Secret is well known to
contain passwords, mainly from Windows XP era. Could you provide a
link?
It also hasn't been fixed in Window 8 released this year.
2. You could e.g. retrieve a password from one vulnerable machine
(where physical access or admin shell is possible) and use it against
more secure ones sharing same admin password, typically when a Windows
image is replicated over a network to multiple machines.

Anyhow, having a cleartext password residue somewhere without
documentation looks like a sad bug to me.

Xavier