Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: [Full-disclosure] Microsoft's Binary Planting Clean-Up Mission

From: Jeffrey Walton <noloader () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2011 05:27:13 -0400

On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 7:11 PM, Michael Schmidt <mschmidt () drugstore com> wrote:
Someone’s just not reading the bulletins – Note the term “Remote” –
including webdav, so a share that could be fully controlled by the
exploiter. At least that is what I am understanding.

Updates released on September 13, 2011

Microsoft Security Bulletin MS11-071, "Vulnerability in Windows Components
Could Allow Remote Code Execution," provides support for vulnerable
components of Microsoft Windows that are affected by the Insecure Library

Microsoft Security Bulletin MS11-073, "Vulnerabilities in Microsoft Office
Could Allow Remote Code Execution," provides support for vulnerable
components of Microsoft Office that are affected by the Insecure Library

In addition, this looks like it could be ripe for abuse (if it is true):
   Even more interesting is the fact that you can specify a
   UNC path in the import section of the PE file. If we specify
   \\66.93.68.6\z as the name of the imported DLL, the Windows
   loader will try to download the DLL file from our web server.

See http://www.phreedom.org/solar/code/tinype/.