Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Circumventing Critical Security in Windows XP

From: Ansgar Wiechers <bugtraq () planetcobalt net>
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2010 09:50:42 +0100

On 2010-02-17 barkley () usa net wrote:
I've detailed below just how easy (too easy) it is to circumvent the
security of the following critical security services. Thus can't now
become can!

It goes without saying that malware on entering a system by whichever
means, and on detecting critical security services, can now even more
easily (automated/scripted) disarm critical security services, just by
modifying unprotected registry entries, for whatever malevolent
purposes.

I've created registry entries (I can send these to you should you be
interested) to demonstrate just how easy it is to circumvent the
security of these critical security services, which unfortunately is
all too easily a very effective way of immobilising critical security
functions i.e. firewall, antivirus etc. This in my opinion is
certainly not a vulnerability nor a flaw so to speak, but rather a
functional design oversight?

Unless you give details on what you actually did, any discussion is
rather futile. I do have a feeling, though, that the modifications you
made require administrator privileges. In which case there isn't any
kind of vulnerability or security flaw.

Regards
Ansgar Wiechers
--
"All vulnerabilities deserve a public fear period prior to patches
becoming available."