Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: /proc filesystem allows bypassing directory permissions on Linux

From: psz () maths usyd edu au
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2009 21:54:05 +1100

Dear Dan,

... in authentic kernels /proc/<PID>/fd/<FD> are symlinks ...

They appear to /bin/ls as symlinks, but observation suggests that they
"act" as hardlinks. Could that be fixed somehow? (I did look at the
kernel fs/proc/base.c but did not make much sense to me...)

BTW: did you notice how bugtraq failed to follow this conversation?
They seem to have a strong pro-Windows, contra-Linux stance.

Cheers, Paul

Paul Szabo   psz () maths usyd edu au   http://www.maths.usyd.edu.au/u/psz/
School of Mathematics and Statistics   University of Sydney    Australia