Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Insufficient Authentication vulnerability in Asus notebook

From: Daniel Hazelton <dhazelton () enter net>
Date: Thu, 14 May 2009 16:05:29 -0400

On Thursday 14 May 2009 15:39:29 Susan Bradley wrote:
We're talking XP Home here, right?  A admin account without a password
cannot be access remotely over the internet, so if you have physical
access at all times of that Asus netbook it's arguably more secure in
some circumstances.

Not just XP Home. I can confirm that this "vulnerability" is a standard feature
of several OEM and MS released versions of both XP Home and XP Professional.
In both cases I've had to manually re-set the password to something.

This seems to be a "feature" - since if you have to use the recovery console
it'll ask you for the password for "Administrator"... by default it's blank
and you can just hit enter.

DRH

nameless wrote:
Susan Bradley wrote:
3.  For XPs it's kinda handy to have a blank admin password when you
sometimes come in on a network and need to get to that particular
machine and you didn't set it up, otherwise you have to use the Admin
password boot disk trick and reset the password to blank.

You should only do the above recommendation, if you like to have your
boxes owned.

You should not have any administrative accounts named "Administrator"
and _all_ administrative accounts should have a _STRONG_ password
associated with them.

No exceptions.

Password safes are available at no charge.  If you somehow forget your
password, you can always reset it via AD or resetting the SAM.