Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: HP Quality Center vulnerability

From: Pavel Kankovsky <peak () argo troja mff cuni cz>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2009 00:19:23 +0100 (CET)

On Mon, 23 Feb 2009 info () exposit co uk wrote:

The front-end of the application is composed of COM components that plug
into the web browser. [...]
In order to optimize the interaction speed of the application, a cache
folder is created on the client machine. [...] Indeed, those files are
required on the client machine because the workflow is execute on the
client, not on the server. [...]
If a user modifies this file and then mark it as read-only, he can
execute arbitrary code. As the OTA API allows access to the database, he
can also modify the data stored in the database as follows:

You say you can execute arbitrary code on your computer (under your own
account)? What an amazing exploit! (pun intended)

Any client-server application depending on the client side not being
messed with by its user is *broken by design*. It does not matter
whether the messing in question is easy (like putting a VB script in the
right directory) or difficult (like attaching a debugger to a running
process and flipping bits in its memory space).

Please note that HP has released a patch that fixes this issue, please
contact HP support for further details.

I wonder what kind of fix has been released. Does anyone think they solved
the REAL problem?

--
Pavel Kankovsky aka Peak                          / Jeremiah 9:21        \
"For death is come up into our MS Windows(tm)..." \ 21th century edition /