Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Has anyone implemented "double forward DNS"?

From: Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers <bugtraq () planetcobalt net>
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2008 15:34:16 +0200

On 2008-09-03 Ansgar Wiechers wrote:
On 2008-08-30 Duncan Simpson wrote:
Double reverse DNS, which checks the name found using reverse DNS
matches the IP adrdess enquired about is now common. I was wondering
wether about has applied the same technique to forward DNS queries
too.

The idea here is that a client that finds www.example.com is
192.168.3.42 does not trist this infiormation. Instead it looks up
42.3.168.192.in-addr.arpa and checks for a PTR record saying
www.example.com. If one is not found then the result is disinformation
and should not be used.

Wrong.

cobalt@chrome:~ $ host www.planetcobalt.net
www.planetcobalt.net    CNAME   chrome.planetcobalt.net
chrome.planetcobalt.net CNAME   planetcobalt.net
planetcobalt.net        A       217.10.9.49
cobalt@chrome:~ $ host 49.9.10.217.in-addr.arpa
49.9.10.217.in-addr.arpa        PTR     mail.planetcobalt.net
cobalt@chrome:~ $ host mail.planetcobalt.net
mail.planetcobalt.net   A       217.10.9.49
cobalt@chrome:~ $ _

You can have multiple names resolving to the same IP address, but just
one PTR record mapping that address back to a name.

It was pointed out to me in private that, of course, you can have
multiple PTR records mapping one address to different names. My bad.

However, since oftentimes (colocation scenarios for instance) forward
and reverse zone have different maintainers, it's some hassle to keep
the reverse zone in sync with the forward zone. Thus I have my doubts
that proper reverse mappings for every name will become common practice
anytime soon.

Anyway, I apologize again for the misinformation in my previous mail.

Regards
Ansgar Wiechers
--
"All vulnerabilities deserve a public fear period prior to patches
becoming available."