Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Sun M-class hardware denial of service

From: Theo de Raadt <deraadt () cvs openbsd org>
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2008 20:36:17 -0600

On Sun, Sep 28, 2008 at 08:14:35PM -0600, Theo de Raadt wrote:

OpenBSD of course cannot run in a Solaris zone.

Right.  Glad that is clear.

OpenBSD can run in a hardware zone, and when something it does (which
we don't know yet) locks up that hardware zone, the only way to get
the hardware zone back is to POWER THE MACHINE OFF.  That is a lack
of hardware zoning, or isolation.  That is not what people paid a lot
of money for.

Yes, we all agree that is bad but this is an OpenBSD specific problem
and, whilst interesting, the reality is that there are no going to be
many people that are lunatic enough to run an untrusted third party
operating system on a machine of this class.

Oh I get it.  You can use a "trust relationship with your
administrators" to get around the fact that Sun sold a piece of
hardware which does not provide the isolation they promised in their
white papers and documentation.

I guess it is some modern creed.  Ask for little, and accept it when
you don't even get it.